A student from describes his experience working with formative assessment:
- Writing expectations were made clear to the students and teachers through the use of a formative self-assessment with a checklist for writing about musical mood.
- Students did significantly more writing about music than in previous years.
- A number of activities and templates were developed which were engaging for the kids and helped close learning gaps, i.e. card games, writing templates, mnemonics.
- Both the usefulness and challenges of technology were brought to light, with much positive feedback for Google Forms and the apps Name Selector and Tenuto.
- The use of self-assessments with checklists led to the creation of similar self-assessments for use in performance, specifically guided recorder practice.
- The teacher and facilitator identified the need to slightly restructure the writing process, add additional steps, and provide richer opportunities for the stronger writers.